Friday 11 June 2010

Gearing up for the op

My right knee has deteriorated a lot over the last 12 months and I went back to my orthopedic surgeon......


After seeing some X-rays he decided to do keyhole surgery to assess the damage...

Turned out to be quite bad and now I am scheduled for a total knee replacement on the 22nd of June. My left knee was replaced back in 2003, so I have an idea of what to expect, but medical insights have come a long way since then and I'm hoping that the pain relief is a LOT better than 7 years ago ! I'll be able to walk properly again and be painfree.

The Havenziekenhuis in Rotterdam is a really nice hospital were you don't feel like a number on a chart :~)) Plus it's been totally re-vamped since 2003 - the rooms are now for two instead of six and the food looks a LOT better ! It also scores high on the list for Orthopedics and being a small hospital the atmosphere is pleasant.

There was a special 'workshop' about the op and a huge manual with several pages of 'homework' in it !!

If you are not squeamish, there's an  animation of the replacement procedure here.

It's a five day stay in hospital then at least six weeks recovery at home with physiotherapy twice a week.



Instead of mailing everybody, I will update the blog, so
Add a link to your favorites if you want to keep up with my progress.


With just over a week to go I'm getting the house and garden in order as I won't be very mobile for some time.


Leo will be playing nursemaid for the first three weeks :~)))

No comments: